Microsoft Corporation Software/Firmware Development Engineer in Redmond, Washington
The Microsoft Silicon team is transforming the ways people communicate, create, and collaborate through the devices and components we develop. We’re a growing team of engineers on a mission to develop revolutionary designs and ship first-to-market products.
Our team is creative and resourceful, we value growth and learning. We want to amplify your abilities so you can do your best work. Join us, and together we’ll turn groundbreaking hardware designs into reality!
As a member of the Microsoft’s Hardware Systems Group, you directly impact future products such as Azure, Xbox, and HoloLens through:
• Developing low-level embedded software and firmware.
• Learning from experienced developers from a diverse set of engineering backgrounds.
• Gaining experience of the software development lifecycle.
Academic & Industrial Qualifications:
• B.S. or higher in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or similar.
• 3+ years of embedded software development industry experience.
• Experienced developing in C or C++.
• Passion for developing low-level software interfacing with hardware.
• Desire to learn from seasoned engineers from a diverse set of technical backgrounds.
• Knowledge of operating systems including drivers, memory management, boot loaders, and scheduling.
• Excited about innovating first-of-kind products.
• Excellent debugging skills with GDB or equivalent.
• Experience developing firmware in pre-silicon environments.
• Experience with one or more of these: DMA, PCIe, NVMe, image video decoders, networking controllers, memory controllers/training, boor flows, or power management.
• Familiarity with RTOS or runtimes including synchronization, memory management, diagnostics, telemetry, and fault handling.
• Basic understanding of machine learning.
• Knowledge of computer architecture.
• Knowledge of x86, Tensilica, or ARM architectures.
• Passionate about tinkering with various microcontrollers.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form at https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest .
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.