SMG Catering Captain in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
POSITION: Catering Captain REPORTS TO: Catering Supervisor & Manager DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage FLSA STATUS: Hourly Non-Exempt
POSITION SUMMARY: This position is responsible for ensuring that his or her assigned events and activities are organized and executed providing a high quality catering service for banquets, receptions and events to achieve customer satisfaction and retention.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Planning, assigning, and directing work for catering employees.
- Maintaining labor costs by adhering to schedules put before them.
- Position is very hands on with excessive interaction with staff and customers during events.
- Be at work and in proper uniform according to the scheduled time.
- Assist with collecting all banquet equipment to include flatware, china, glassware, and serving pieces needed for each event.
- Requisition food and supplies, as needed during events.
- Assist with preparation and set-up of event room when necessary.
- Attend pre-function meeting for briefing of event details.
- Complies with Health Department rules and regulation.
- Provide friendly and courteous customer service at all times.
- Remain at assigned station and perform duties as assigned according to each event if applicable.
- Inventory Control, to include counting and requisitioning food and supplies, as needed before, during and after the event.
- Breakdown tables and banquet equipment after each event.
- Clean and return catering equipment and serving pieces to proper storage areas
- Adhere to strict grooming standards and policies of company for themselves and the employees
- Perform other duties as assigned and deemed necessary.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Directly supervises multiple team members in the Food & Beverage Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws.
Acting as supervisor on duty for a particular event, responsibilities may include planning; assigning and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems in conjunction with department leadership and Human Resources; ensuring event activities run smoothly, meeting guest and client needs and expectations; communicate any event or employee issues with Catering Supervisor or Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: * High school diploma or GED equivalent required * Minimum of one year of work experience in Food Service environment required * Knowledge of catering services and terminology * Must have ability to follow directions and effectively perform the work. * Must have a pleasant personality and a neat appearance. * Must speak and understand English well enough to converse with customers, supervisors and employees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: * Attention to detail and consistency in every aspect of service is a must * Positive, customer service oriented attitude at all times. * Strong knowledge of sanitary practices. * Maintains proper grooming and dress code standards. * Work ethic encourages strong urgency and quality in a team environment. * Ability to work with other staff members in the facility. * Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks. * Attention to detail.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Constant standing and walking
- Manual dexterity to handle food service items such as utensils, dishes, food items, etc.
- Frequent lifting/pushing/pulling objects up to 10-15 lbs, occasionally lifting/pushing/pulling objects up to 30 lbs, rarely lifting/pushing/pulling objects up to 100 lbs (with assistance)
WORKING ENVIRONMENT * Moderate to extreme exposure to noise during events. * May be exposed to vibrations during events caused by extreme noise. * May be exposed to strobe lights/lasers during events. * May require working inside and/or outside of building with exposure to extreme heat or weather conditions
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: * ABLE commission alcohol beverage permit within 30 days
.HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: * Travel negligible * Shifts vary -- Required to work any shift needed (as scheduled) * Ability to work irregular hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
TO APPLY: Apply online at our website:
Applicants who need a reasonable accommodation to complete the application process may contact (405) 602-8500.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled