Bon Secours Mercy Health Surgical Technician in Newport News, Virginia
At Bon Secours Mercy Health, we are dedicated to continually improving health care quality, safety and cost effectiveness. Our hospitals, care sites and clinicians are recognized for clinical and operational excellence.
You could be eligible for a $10,000 Sign-On Bonus for this position!
As a faith-based and patient-focused organization, Bon Secours exists to enhance the health and well-being of all people in mind, body and spirit through exceptional patient care. Success in this goal requires a culture of compassion, collaboration, excellence and respect. Bon Secours seeks people that are committed to our values of compassion, human dignity, integrity, service and stewardship to create an environment where associates want to work and help communities thrive.
Surgical Technologist Certified – Mary Immaculate Hospital
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
Facilitates the operative or other invasive procedure by preparing and providing the required sterile instruments, supplies and equipment. Maintains the sterile field and anticipates and responds to the needs of the surgical team.
Essential Job Functions
• Functions as the scrub person and assists as trained during operative and other invasive procedures by assembling supplies and equipment required for the procedure.
• Prepares and organizes sterile supplies and instrument for the procedure and performs surgical counts with the circulating RN according to policy.
• Maintains an organized sterile field and ensures the sterility of the field by taking corrective action as needed. Assists with placement of sterile drapes. Provides instruments and supplies to the surgical team during the procedure and maintains aseptic technique.
• Retrieves and collects specimens and labels specimens appropriately and correctly.
• Reports any implanted devices, catheters, drains, and packing to circulator.
• Provides complete case preparation and has knowledge, with the ability to adapt, of special instruments, supplies, and equipment needs for patient populations.
• Demonstrates knowledge of patients’ rights and responsibilities according to the patients age and understanding.
• Demonstrates understanding of patients Advance Directives.
• Assists in CPR as needed.
• Assists with pre and post procedure cleaning of the operative or invasive procedure room and necessary instruments.
• BSMH Surgical Technologist are expected to practice and deliver care in accordance with the core concepts and intention of the BSMH policy.
• Participates in ongoing educational and competency verification opportunities.
• Participates in financial accountability by utilizing resources in a cost-conscious manner and offers performance improvement initiatives.
• Participates in all patient safety care measures.
• Accessible for "on call" as scheduled and is available within the time frames as indicated by the department.
• Participates in the orientation of new staff and students as assigned.
• Prepares and performs surgical skin prep and clipping as indicated by procedure. Inserts urinary catheter as required.
• Demonstrates flexibility regarding unit/area staffing and scheduling needs.
• Maintains personal grooming and attire consistent with BSMH policy.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Must be certified by one of the following: Certified Surgical Technologist (CST), National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTA) or Tech in Surgery – Certified (TS-C), National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) (required)
If employed in Virginia, must be certified by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting or its successor and holds a certification with the Virginia Board of Medicine.
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, must obtain from approved source prior to direct patient care)
Associates Degree, Vocational Certification, or Military Certificate in Surgical Technology (required)
One year of perioperative, operating room, or related military surgical technology experience (preferred)
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
Prescription drug coverage
Flexible spending accounts
Life insurance w/AD&D
Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
Paid time off
And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you'd like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email email@example.com . If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at firstname.lastname@example.org