State of Maine, Bureau of Human Resources Public Health Nurse II in Lewiston, Maine
Public Health Nurse II
Lewiston, Maine, United States
Opening Date: September 13, 2018 Closing Date: Until filled Job Class Code: 4055
Grade: 22 (Nurses)
Salary:$43,596.80 - $57,116.80/yr.
LOCATION: Portland, Augusta, Lewiston, Rockland, Machias, & Fort Kent
CURRENT VACANCY INFORMATION:
The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) provides supportive, preventive, protective, public health and intervention services that protect the public health and assist our customers in meeting their needs.
The mission for the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention (Maine CDC), within which this position is located, is to develop and deliver services to preserve, protect, and promote the health and well-being of the citizens of Maine.
You will be providing direct nursing services to individuals and families in an assigned geographic and programmatic area. Your responsibilities include care planning and management, conducting home and field visits, conducting clinics and conferences, advising and assisting civic groups on nursing and public health needs, and performing certain senior level administrative functions. Work is performed under limited supervision. You will also:
• Plan and implement comprehensive orientation and training of new Public Health Nurses and act as a preceptor for nursing/medical students;
• Plan and conduct caseload and record reviews according to established review procedures;
• Apply the nursing process to individuals and families including health assessment, care plan development, implementation and evaluation, resource coordination, and/or referral in order to meet demonstrated health care needs.
• Plan, develop and coordinate client care with hospitals, medical providers, schools, and social services agencies in order to ensure necessary services are delivered.
• Assess the need for health care clinics; and organizes and coordinates physicians, volunteers, providers, families, and community agencies in order to conduct health care clinics within communities.
• Observe the family environment, identify health problems or at-risk behavior, and contact appropriate resources and agencies in order to respond to family and client needs.
• Act as team coordinator and collaborates with health professionals, social workers, community agencies, and volunteers in order to provide nursing services in community health programs, schools, conferences, and clinics.
Entry level knowledges, skills, and/or abilities may be acquired through, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO the following coursework/training and/or experience.
A four (4) year combination of training and experience which includes graduation from an approved nursing education program and 30 credit hours in one or more of the following disciplines: General, Abnormal or Adolescent Psychology, Sociology, Human Nutrition, Nursing Rehabilitation, Community Health – AND – one (1) year of supervised graduate nurse experience – OR – graduation from an approved nursing education program and two (2) years of experience in public health.
LICENSING/REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: (These must be met by all employees prior to attaining permanent status in this class).
Licensed as a Registered Professional Nurse as issued by the State Board of Nursing.
Preferred candidates will have:
• Knowledge of public health programs, current nursing principles and practices, and nursing process.
• Knowledge of public health nursing laws, education, and administration.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and written.
For additional information about this position please contact Kate Downing, Director of Public Health Nursing, 287-3121. To apply, please upload a recent resume, cover letter, and transcript (transcript needed only if education is used to meet the minimum qualifications). To request a paper application, please contact Ashley Vigue at Ashley.Vigue@Maine.gov.
Value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 15.37% of pay
Value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $13.13 biweekly
Value of State-paid Health Insurance*:
Level 1: 100% State Contribution = $444.68 biweekly (employee pays nothing)
Level 2: 95% State Contribution = $422.45 biweekly (Employee pays: 5%)
Level 3: 90% State Contribution = $400.21 biweekly (Employee pays: 10%)
Level 4: 85% State Contribution = $377.98 biweekly (Employee pays: 15%)
*The level of actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program as of July 1, 2018.
The State of Maine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. We provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request.