SMG Lead Groundskeeper in Kissimmee, Florida
SMG, the leader in privately managed public assembly facilities, has an excellent and immediate opening for a Lead Groundskeeper for Oseola Heritage Park.at Osceola County Stadium.
SUMMARY: Under direction, leads and performs semi-skilled and unskilled maintenance, repair and/or construction work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs in a lead capacity and ensures all work under charge is performed according to established safety standards, codes and regulations applicable to the work;
- Train, lead and supervise subordinate personnel in routine grounds maintenance to semi-skilled trades work;
- Confers with immediate supervisor on employee relation issues;
- Operates a wide variety of construction equipment and tools;
- Operates specialized trade specific tools and equipment;
- Operates various lawn care equipment, i.e., manual and riding lawn mowers, sports turf mowers, sand pros and tractors, sod cutters, trucks, weed-eaters, trimmers, edger, blower;
- Operates various standard hand-held manual, electrical, and gas powered tools and equipment, e.g., power mowers, chain saws, brush cutters, edger, clippers, and other landscaping and roadside maintenance equipment;
- Attends safety meetings and/or participates in safety inspections;
- Participates in the construction, renovation and restoration of streets, bridges, solid waste, utility systems, and public works landscapes and grounds;
- Identifies and reports any detected deterioration, repair needs, and maintenance needs to supervisor;
- Performs and assists with routine and moderately complex maintenance and repairs on structures, facilities, equipment, streets, sidewalks, drainage and other County property in one or more of the skilled and semi-skilled disciplines, e.g., painting, plumbing, masonry, carpentry, flooring and irrigation;
- Performs various record maintenance duties where applicable, e.g., work orders, materials and supplies ordered/utilized, cost estimates, job/time records, labor logs, maintenance logs, inventory of equipment, tools and supplies;
- Schedules and performs sports field maintenance, to include, fertilization, pesticide/herbicide/fungicide application, infield & outfield maintenance, irrigation repair, and irrigation controller programming;
- Utilizes knowledge gained through the Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA) for staff development;
- Performs other duties as assigned or necessary;
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the education, skill, and/or ability required.
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Minimum 2 years' experience in semi-skilled trade work and/or training;
- Journeyman knowledge of maintenance and repairs;
- Pesticide Applicators License or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire date;
- Valid Florida Driver's License;
- Ability to effectively lead and supervise a staff comprised of entry and journey level professionals engaged in carrying out departmental functions;
- Ability to perform physically demanding manual labor;
- Ability to understand, lead and effectively carry out complex oral and written instructions.
- Considerable knowledge of the semi-professional construction and maintenance work involved in a comprehensive municipal construction, repair and maintenance program;
- Considerable knowledge of materials, tools, equipment and necessary safety precautions used in the assigned area of work;
- Skilled in semi-professional maintenance repair and construction methods, techniques and equipment;
- Ability to operate various hand held tools and repair equipment, e.g., power drill, wrench, screwdriver, shovel, rake, pole saw, edger, blower, and generator.
- Ability to operate various equipment and machinery, e.g., manual and riding lawn mowers, sports turf mowers, sand pros and tractors, sod cutters, trucks, weed-eaters, trimmers, edger, blower;
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, superiors and the general public;
- Ability to work independently or in a team environment;
To perform this job successfully, knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and basic office equipment;
Physical Demand Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to work at heights up to 20 feet;
- Ability to regularly lift and/or move 50 -- 100 pounds;
- Required to use hands, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, walk and stand for long periods of time;
- Ability to work in an indoor and outdoor setting which may include exposure to extreme heat, cold, fumes, dust, mold, fiberglass and various chemicals;
- Ability to hear, speak and vision abilities required including being near and far sighted with or without a prescription.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled