Battelle Energy Alliance dba Idaho National Laboratory Grid Integration and Controls Group Lead in Idaho Falls, Idaho
Does a career focused on changing the world's energy future intrigue you? If so, we might have just the opportunity you're looking for!
The Grid Integration and Controls Group within the Power and Energy Systems Department at the Energy and Environment Science & Technology (EES&T) Directorate of Idaho National Laboratory is seeking a group lead! This position will provide technical, strategic, and human capital leadership for this group, overseeing and leading the research, development and deployment (RD&D) associated with grid integration and controls.
- The group lead is expected to spend 25% of their efforts on management related tasks while the rest 75% on technical related tasks.
- Candidates must have experience in power engineering with a particular emphasis in power electronic circuit and controller design and dynamic and transient energy systems modeling.
- Responsibilities include (but are not limited to) coordination and management of power systems projects with a focus on the design of power electronics, power converters, and various other power and energy technologies.
Familiarity with power electronic testing in real-time dynamic simulations using power and/or controller hardware-in-the-loop is required.
The position is hybrid has a 9x80 schedule located at our Energy Systems Laboratory with every other Friday off.
Other responsibilities include:
- Acts for the Department Manager, including attending and conducting meetings, providing department information, etc., in the absence of the Department Manager.
- Provides the Department Manager input on quarterly staff performance reviews including appropriate critical feedback, personal goal-setting, and career development.
- Assists the Department Manager in creating, updating, and executing a strategic plan for the group.
- Assists the Department Manager by overseeing talent development, including recruiting key new staff and retaining existing staff, and identifying professional growth opportunities for group members.
- Ensures work within the group is executed safely and efficiently, within budget parameters and appropriate scope.
- Develops and maintains the group’s existing technical capability base; identifies and builds new group capabilities associated with the mission area; acquires and executes technical programs.
- Demonstrates technical leadership within the group’s area of study/discipline.
- Provide input to weekly department updates for assigned group projects including development of presentation material to be used to highlight group capabilities to potential internal and external customers.
The candidate should have an Advanced Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or a closely related field and at least 6 years of experience or a PhD and 4 years of experience.
Background and solid understanding of power electronics system design, advanced controls, power system real-time simulations, and hardware-in-the-loop testing is required.
Developing publications record in one or more of the technical research related areas will be an added advantage.
Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is highly desired. Prior management experience as a Group Lead or Department Manager is highly desired.
Candidates should have demonstrated leadership capability that promotes an inclusive and diverse work environment allowing the safe performance of work and research.
The candidate must be a "team player" and a developing leader.
- Salary Grades 230 ($121,212 - $206,232) / 240($139,488 - $237,144)
- Chosen applicants are required to show a demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working environment.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy’s mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and development technologies that underpin the nation’s nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and environmental missions.
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
Our vision is to change the world’s energy future and secure our nation’s critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31, 1959, must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
INL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide EEO to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide your resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL does not accept resumes from third party vendors unsolicited.
Benefits & Salary:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more information, please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview
Organization: *Energy & Environment Science & Technology (Bxxx)
Title: Grid Integration and Controls Group Lead
Location: ID-Idaho Falls
Requisition ID: 20394