SMG Lead Hot Cook in Greenville, South Carolina
This is a hands-on position assisting the Sous Chef and Executive Chef with the preparation of food for events by following approved recipes and maintaining the highest levels of sanitation and production standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintain an organized and sanitary work station at all times.
- Follow approved recipes and production standards.
- Prepare all meats, vegetables, proteins, starches, sauces and soups according to specific recipes or as instructed by Sous Chef and/or Executive Chef and adjust quantity for fluctuation in volume.
- Properly label and dates food items for storage.
- Maintain and organize storage rooms, refrigerators and freezers.
- Organizes freezer pulls as necessary.
- Minimize waste by controlling overage and usage.
- Train seasonal kitchen staff on proper procedures and standards.
- Assemble and complete final production of hot and cold food items.
- Assist with plating of catered meals.
- Perform other duties as assigned and deemed necessary.
- Knowledge of all major kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Ability to properly operate ovens, stoves, grills, steamers, smoker, mixers, kettles, char-broiler and other kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to identify and properly use all kitchen small wares.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Strong knowledge of state health codes and sanitation standards.
- Ability to adhere to strict grooming standards
- Ability to follow standards established by SAVOR SMG/TD Convention Center.
- Ability to become ServSafe Certified.
- Work ethic encourages strong urgency and quality in a team environment
- Maintains proper grooming and dress code standards.
- Ability to recognize and utilize weights and measurements, both liquid and dry.
- Knowledge and skills in diverse culinary techniques including multi-ethnic cuisine, displays, garde manger, sauces, protein cutting, plate presentation and sanitation.
- Skill in volume production and hands-on cooking.
- Ability to perform basic math functions necessary to execute recipes.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two-year culinary degree or appropriate continuing education credits preferred.
- Minimum of three years experience in a cook's position.
- Minimum of one year of experience in banquet operations.
- Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. for up to 5 minutes at a time.
- Constant standing, walking, stooping. Constant reaching, handling products.
- Fast-paced environment.
- May be exposed to extreme cold from walk-in coolers/freezers for up to one hour at a time.
- May be exposed to extreme heat from hot burners and/or steam for extended periods of time.
- May be exposed to minimal amount of smoke for extended periods of time.
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Irregular hours including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as determined by event schedule.
- Extended hours may be required, as determined by event schedule.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled