SMG Banquet Captain in Ft Lauderdale, Florida
POSITION: Banquet Captain
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Banquet Manager
FLSA STATUS: hourly, non-exempt
SUPERVISES: Banquet Servers, Bartenders, Concessions
Supervises and coordinates activities of banquet servers during banquets to ensure that food is served promptly. The Banquet Captain stays in contact with the host (on-site contact) throughout the event to ensure the highest guest satisfaction possible. Regular attendance in conformance with the policies established by SMG is essential to the successful performance of this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbal and written, in English.
- Must be able to make quick and accurate decisions.
- Consults with Food Services Manager regarding serving arrangements and additional employees and equipment required.
- Supervises banquet servers.
- Meets with Chef on Duty at start of every shift to review banquet event orders for menu, timing, special request and Chef's expectations.
- Meet with client prior to start of event to review menu and itinerary.
Anticipate customers' needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all customers,however busy and whatever time of day
Must be a leader, motivating the servers, resolving conflicts and exceeding guest expectations.
- Conducts lineup with the staff at the start of each shift. Inspects uniforms, reviews menus and event itineraries and provides a short training topic.
Prepares Captain's Reports, detailing the function and comments of the Host (on-site contact)
Promotes and maintains the highest level of customer service to all BCCC guests.
Determines when a guest should not be served additional alcoholic beverages in accordance with BCCC policies.
Must inspect function space prior to start of function to ensure cleanliness, organization and ambiance, (first impression, attractiveness, etc.)
Observes food being served to ensure that food is correctly garnished and arranged
- Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization's/department policies and applicable laws.
- Responsible for consumption sheets.
Ensure front and back of the house are maintained in a clean and orderly fashion.
Ensure all closing duties for staff are completed before staff sign out
- Provide feedback on staff performance to manager and report disciplinary problems to manager and participate in the counseling of employees
Foster and promote a cooperative working climate, maximizing productivity and employee morale
Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards
- Review status of assignments and any follow‐up action with Banquet Manager and/or oncoming Supervisor
- Notify Manager when low on item such as lemons, creamers, coffee etc.
- All other duties assigned.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with all policies and applicable laws
- Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or GED
- One year's experience as a banquet server or banquet Captain
- Must have a current Food Handler's Certificate and be TIPS trained.
- Previous Supervisory experience preferred.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual can be trained
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and meet strict deadlines
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hour as needed
- Must have professional attitude and appearance
- Some travel required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; talk and hear. This position may require work inside or outside of the building, as needed by events.
Constant reaching, standing, walking and stooping
Position requires walking and standing regularly
- Daily lifting and carrying up to 20-50 lbs up to 10 minutes at a time
- Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
- Irregular hours dictated by events
- Must be able to balance and have good manual dexterity
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Go to Link:
SMG -- Broward County Convention Center
150 Eisenhower Blvd.
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida 33316
Applicants that need reasonable accommodations to complete the application process may contact- 954-765-5900
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Open - 10/04/2017 Close -- TBD
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled