SMG Janitorial Services Worker in Detroit, Michigan
Under the direction of the shift supervisor, the Janitorial Services Worker will responsible for the overall housekeeping services in the facility. They will also assist with the set up and tear down of meeting rooms, exhibit halls, catered events, ballrooms and other spaces in and surrounding Cobo Center.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/bathrooms using established practices and procedure.
- Clean, dust, and wipe furniture; sweep, mop, or vacuum floors; empty/clean wastebaskets and trash containers; empty and clean ash trays and cigarette urns; replace light bulbs; refill restroom dispensers.
- Assist with the setup/teardown of facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, events, etc.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and floor finish to hard surface floors, vacuum and shampoo carpets.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools; buffers, auto scrubbers, extractors, high pressure washers, high speed buffers and vacuums, brooms, mops, and squeegees for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, furniture, etc.
- Wash walls and equipment; use ladders when required in work assignments.
- Lock and unlock assigned buildings: secure building when facilities are not in use checking for unlocked doors and windows, report any unauthorized occupants, turn off lights.
- Perform cleaning and related activities such as removing snow or debris from sidewalks and stairs in areas within sixteen feet of buildings using hand-operated tools or small power equipment.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies. Use as directed
- Handle recycling materials
- Assist with inventory control and security
- Upholds department and Cobo Center standards, procedures and policies.
- Responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of equipment.
- Operate machinery used for housekeeping.
- Assists newer employees with acclimation to the center and provides on the job demonstrations and coaching.
- Additional duties and tasks as assigned.
- Education -- high school diploma or equivalent;
- Experience -- one (1) + year janitorial experience or the equivalent as approved by management. Experience in the hospitality industry is a plus;
- Skills -- Have essential physical and mental capabilities in the following: Interpersonal skills, memory, attention to detail, follow directions, comprehension, calculating, reading, writing, speaking, evaluating, mathematics, organizing and innovation.
- Knowledge -- of the methods, tools, materials and equipment used; applicable safety codes and regulations;
- Communication Skills -- good oral, written and listening skills; pays close attention to details;
- Customer Focus -- dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; establishes and maintains effective relationships while gaining their trust and respect;
- Organizational Skills -- uses resources and time effectively and efficiently;
- Problem Solving -- solves problems with effective solutions;
- Teamwork -- creates strong morale and spirit within the team; deals effectively and tactfully with departmental personnel and the public;
- Special Requirements, Licenses or Certifications -- valid Driver's License, power assisted equipment licensing required, customer service training a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled