SMG Accountant Payroll Clerk in Detroit, Michigan
The position of Accountant reports to the Director of Finance and is primarily responsible for the payroll and cash receipting activity of the organization and will assist with other accounting functions as needed. In addition, position will also be responsible for applying accounting principles and procedures to analyze financial information, preparing accurate and timely financial reports, assisting with the preparation of the audit process, and ensuring appropriate accounting control procedures are being followed.
The Accountant must be a self-starter who can work well with people at all levels both internally and externally of the operations and must have the ability to work effectively with ever changing priorities and/or situations.
Key Job Elements:
- Reviews timecards within the Time and Attendance System
- Processes weekly payroll and maintains payroll records and payroll system
- Responsible for the entire cash receipt process
- Ensures financial records are maintained in compliance with accepted policies and procedures.
- Assures compliance with collective bargaining agreement financial obligations
- Conducts research, analysis and reporting on financial issues
- Performs other related duties and special projects as required.
- Assists with processing all customer billings and follow up with clients on billing and collection issues
- Provides support and back-up to accounting staff personnel as required.
- Education -- Educational background and academic qualifications are important and required, bachelor's degree in accounting preferred.
- Experience -- Three (3) to five (5) years of progressively responsible accounting experience. Must have experience with processing payroll and knowledge of GAAP. Experience working with large company payroll systems required. Experience with ADP Enterprise a plus. Knowledgeable of Solomon accounting systems a plus.
- Skills -- Strong data entry, bookkeeping, decision-making skills; attention to detail and high level of accuracy required; good computer skills with extensive experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, and various other accounting systems and software a must.
- Well Developed Communication Skills -- Good oral, written and listening skills. Good analytical skills.
- Organized -- Can handle multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; uses resources effectively and efficiently.
- Problem Solving -- Solves problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and probes answers; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answer.
- Team Player -- Creates strong morale and spirit within team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled