SMG Public Safety Officer in Columbus, Ohio
Participates in the day-to-day functions of securing, directing, and promoting security and public safety in the Greater Columbus Convention Center. The Campus includes 4 Parking Areas, 2 food courts, 4 exhibit halls, 6 ballrooms, more than 50 meeting rooms within 2 million square feet of space. You will be called upon to greet guests as they arrive, check bags and perform visual checks of guests, manage crowds, secure doors and monitor specific locations throughout the venue, and act as roving or posted security. As the "eyes and ears" of the building, you are expected to keep a close watch on the crowd and intervene in situations when appropriate and call for assistance when it is needed. You are on the "front line" and will experience the excitement and energy of the event. Assists in event related activity as required.
- Greet guests as they enter and leave the facilities
- Answer questions; resolve complaints, and give directions
- Enforce venue policies and procedures
- Report suspicious activity and violations of campus policy
- Respond to guest conflicts, medical situations, and other incidents
- Provide crowd management and assist with crowd movement
- Secure locations and prohibit access to unauthorized individuals
- Challenge unauthorized personnel in restricted areas
- Follow established code of conduct and safety procedures
- Provide exceptional service to all patrons
- Perform regular and routine security rounds of the campus; noting and correcting unsafe or insecure conditions, and takes further and immediate action to correct conditions as needed
- Complete detailed reports on activity during shift
- Complete Written Incident reports
- Direct visitors, deliveries and related personnel to proper areas, notifies related departments of visitor/delivery arrival/departure
- Operate and monitor computerized fire alarm system and surveillance camera
- Operate company vehicle to transports employees or patrons around campus
Take appropriate action in the event of an emergency
Must have the ability to interact with guests in a friendly, courteous and polite manner. This will include initiating contact with guests within 10 feet -- i.e. smiling, saying "Good Day" or offering assistance when needed.
- Must feel comfortable when around large groups or speaking to a guest, as needed
- Understands the importance of providing customer service and in understanding of "The Magic is in the Details"
- Must obtain and maintain employer sponsored Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA) certification, if applicable.
- All other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Job Requirements: (Some may not be required, but preferred)
- High School Diploma/GED
- Surveillance (CCTV) Skills, preferred but not required
- Working knowledge of Security and Public Safety functions
- Customer Service Techniques
- Fire Alarm System
- Basic Knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications
- Must be able to use a Two-Way radio at all times
- Must maintain a professional appearance at all times
- Must be able to keep information confidential
- Valid State driver's License
- Must be able to pass Background check
- Must be able to pass Pre-Employment drug test as well as random drug testing during employment
Required upon hire or within 120 days of hire if not certified
- NIMS ICS 100
- NIMS ICS 700
CPR, First Aid, AED (maintain through employment)
Obtain security license under the Ohio Department of Public Safety (maintain through employment)
Experience: Previous experience as a Security officer. Law enforcement, Military, Fire, or Emergency Medical Service background preferred; but not required.
Skills/Aptitudes: Must possess oral and written communication skills and be able to follow instructions; able to qualify under existing state security guidelines; physical ability to walk, climb steps, stand/walk for up to 8 hours; must be fluent in English language; must be willing and able to work with a wide variety of individuals from varying socioeconomic backgrounds; attention to detail; conflict resolution skills preferred.
Working Conditions: May be exposed to adverse weather conditions for long periods of time; ability to work flexible hours in addition to normal business hours as needed; must be able to lift and carry up to 50lbs; must be able to stand for long periods of time. May be exposed to physical confrontations.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled