Air National Guard Units (Title 32) FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN in Toledo, Ohio
About the Agency
This National Guard position is for a FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN, Position Description Number D2157000 and is part of the 180 FW/CPTF, Ohio Air National Guard.
This position is located in the Air National Guard (ANG) Flying Wing, Comptroller Flight, Financial Management Section. The purpose of this position is to provide analysis, validation, processing and correction of financial transactions and issues/problems involving the full range of financial management services and accounting functions. Incumbent uses complete understanding of interrelated systems and processes across multiple functional areas and their interoperability to ensure the validity and accuracy of all disbursements, collections, and adjustments related to financial records.
The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your states and your community!
OHIO AIR NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the Ohio Air National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Ohio Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the Ohio Air National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
As a FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT TECHNICIAN, GS-0503-08, you will perform the following duties:
(1) Performs broad-in-depth financial analysis of interrelated accounting, logistics and computer file systems concerning pay, accounts payable or receivable, and various travel entitlements to resolve especially difficult and sensitive, out-of-balance conditions associated with processing actions within Financial Management systems. Analyzes and evaluates data to conduct a variety of fiscal reconciliations, reviews, and account adjustments. Analyzes diverse financial management technical methods, techniques, precedent cases, and procedures to resolve an extensive range of difficult financial issues or problems. Balances all Program Managers' accounts with the federal database of record.
(2) Performs in-depth analysis on complicated pay, travel, accounts payable and receivable and fiscal accounting activity issues involving substantial corrective action and/or complicated adjustments and resolves issues, including assessing unusual circumstances or conditions. Utilizes experience and judgment, rather than guides, to fill in gaps, identify sources of information, and make working suppositions about what transpired to decide approaches, and resolve specific problems. Develops variations in approaches to fit specific problems or deals with incomplete, unreliable or conflicting data in the process of work performance in order to validate transactions and resolve inconsistencies.
(3) Analyzes particular facts of financial transaction problems/issues, verifies and evaluates data; obtains additional information to reconcile discrepancies or inconsistencies; and, applies pertinent Fiscal Laws, regulations, precedent decisions, and procedures to determine appropriate action for resolution. Performs research on many different and unrelated processes and methods relating to financial transactions for analysis of complex and unusual financial transactions. Analyzes results, applies personal initiative and judgment to make recommendations, which may result in changing guidelines affecting internal, state, and National Guard Bureau (NGB) level processes and procedures.
(4) Analyzes and resolves tax processing problems based on airmen inquiries or internal control audits/reviews, ranging from Permanent Change of Station (PCS) issues and combat tax exclusion pay to refunds of erroneous tax collection. Ensures complex tax issues involving tax documents, Do It Yourself (DITY) moves, and Relocation Income Tax Allowance (RITA) payments, are accomplished accurately and timely.
(5) Interprets data to identify problems, determines nature of the problem or issue, decides approaches to resolve issues, and recommends solutions for systemic changes to enhance operations. Uses independent judgment to reconstruct incomplete files and accounts; devises more efficient methods for procedural processing, gathers and organizes information for inquiries, or resolves problems referred by others. Interprets user requirements in order to design new ad hoc reports or modifications of standard financial and management systems. Seeks positive results from regulatory, system, or force structure changes.
(6) Incumbent researches, interprets, analyzes, and applies regulations, policies, procedures, and legal decisions to work and/or resolve complex fiscal issues/problems regardless of the technical difficulties encountered. Uses originality to sort complicated factual information regarding public law, Fiscal Law, Department of Defense (DoD), Department of the Air Force, National Guard Bureau (NGB), and Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) regulations, Standard Operating Procedures, Comptroller General Decisions, and policies/issuances to apply a variety of methods and execute the full range of financial management services.
*The above duty description doesn't contain all details of the official position description. A copy of the entire position description can be found on FASCLASS by searching the position description (PD# D2151000 ). https://acpol2.army.mil/fasclass/searchfs/searchfasclass.asp
- Not Required
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Open to current members of the 180th FW, Ohio Air National Guard.
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- Ohio Air National Guard Membership is required.
- Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
- Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
- May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education, or training in progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work which demonstrates the candidates' ability to communicate with individuals at different levels in order to assist and provide information. Experience using computers and automated systems.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must have at least 18 months experience doing thorough accurate work that requires a logical sequence of steps to accomplish a task. Experience in obtaining and interpreting information, organizing and developing clear and meaningful written information. Experience providing technical and specialized administrative data, background material and references upon request.
Completion of two academic years of education in an accredited college or university will satisfy the requirements for GS-04 positions. Only education in excess of the first 60 semester hours (i.e., beyond the second year) is creditable toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. One full academic year of study (30 semester hours) beyond the second year is equivalent to six months of specialized experience for GS-05 positions.
If you are using Education to qualify for this position, you must provide transcripts or other documentation to support your Educational claims. To receive credit for Education, you must provide documentation of proof that you meet the Education requirements for this position.
Compatible military grade and assignment required prior to the effective date of placement. This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state's National Guard. Applicants who are not currently a member of the Ohio Air National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact an Ohio Air National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Military Grades: SSgt (E5) - TSgt (E6) If selected member is overgrade, they must be demoted on start date.?
Compatible Military Assignments: AFSC: 6F0X1
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
What To Expect Next
Once your online application is submitted you will receive a confirmation notification by email. Your application will be evaluated by the Human Resources Office to determine your eligibility for the position. After the evaluation is complete, you will receive another notification regarding the status of your application.
Review our benefits
If serving under an incentive contract, termination of that incentive(s) will occur effective one day prior to your AGR, Permanent Military Technician, or Indefinite Military Technician start date. Temporary Military Technicians will have their incentive terminated if their tour exceeds 179 days in a continuous 12-month period.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476865900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-26
Salary: $45,056 to $58,570 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 8
Series: 0503 Financial Clerical And Assistance
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: OH-10035614-AF-17-334-T
Control number: 476865900