Defense Finance and Accounting Service SUPERVISORY FINANCIAL SYSTEMS ANALYST in Cleveland, Ohio
About the Agency
DFAS' (Defense Finance and Accounting Service) mission is to lead the DoD (Department of Defense) in finance and accounting by ensuring the delivery of efficient, exceptional quality pay and financial information. We take pride in serving the men and women who defend America. DFAS is seeking goal-oriented people who like a challenge and care about serving our country. We offer rewarding careers in finance, accounting, information systems, contracting services, human resources, clerical work and many other areas.
The following link will help you determine if you meet the eligibility to apply for this position: http://www.dfas.mil/careers/howtoapply/vacancyannouncement/appointment-eligibility.html
PLEASE NOTE: You will be considered only for those appointment eligibilities for which you select, attach supporting documentation and are found eligible.
- Performs the full range of supervision at the division level.
- Responsible for planning, designing, revising, deploying, and maintaining the managerial information requirements portion of the migratory financial management and accounting systems used throughout the Department of Defense.
- Serves as an expert analyst coordinating with multifunctional task forces composed of financial managers from all levels within the Department of Defense or other government agencies to establish goals, objectives and policies for the migratory financial management and accounting systems.
- Provides technical expertise to financial systems analyst, systems accountants, management analyst and computer system analysts involved in designing, testing, evaluating, and proliferating migratory financial management and accounting systems for the Department of Defense.
- Identifies and develops Mission Element Needs Statements (MENS), Functional Descriptions (FD), Economic Analyses (EA), Management Plans (MP), System Decision Papers (SDP), Test Plans (TP), milestones and conversion plans when designing/developing the criteria for financial management and accounting systems.
- Devises the test criteria for systems integration testing, prototype testing and systems approval.
- Develops training packages and conducts user training with functional and other Department of Defense representatives. Monitors and reviews the financial management and accounting systems development progress with functional and Department of Defense representatives. Determines need for systems changes/enhancements, evaluates system recommendations and develops functional descriptions for required changes, coordinating the documents at all levels throughout the Department of Defense.
- Reviews, modifies, and impacts Department of Defense procedures, policies, and principles affecting the migratory financial management and accounting systems and identifies specific problems and issues requiring further analysis. Works with and provides advice to Department of Defense product managers ensuring that policies and practices adopted for the financial management and accounting systems preserve the continuity of the system and are consistent with Department of Defense financial management policies and practices. Develops migratory system procedures that will combine all current systems into a single total system capable of performing current and planned functions. Identifies and resolves problems with current procedures.
- Provides professional expertise regarding systems changes needed due to legislation or management direction. Serves as liaison with personnel from other systems which interface with the migratory financial management and accounting systems, ensuring that all interface requirements are identified and addressed. Represents the DFAS Headquarters at meetings and conferences with Department of Defense and other Government Agencies to discuss and resolve issues and problems pertinent to financial Management and accounting systems.
- Occasional Travel
- You may be expected to travel for this position.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
Current or Former Permanent Federal Employees, 30% or More Disabled Veterans, Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) eligibles, Schedule A eligibles, Military Spouses Preference eligibles in the local area, Peace Corps eligibles, and other individuals eligible under Special Appointment Authorities
Questions? This job is open to 5 groups.
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Background Investigation
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for federal employment
- Served 3 months after initial competitive appointment into Federal Service
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-12) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as:experience performing in depth financial systems analysis and assisting in the design, development, and support of automated financial systems; expert knowledge of financial management principles as they relate to automated systems processing and finance operations; planning and implementing process improvements relative to large-scale accounting and financial operations, systems, policies, and procedures; and providing high-level financial systems expertise to senior leadership to help them carry out financial missions with allocated resources.
Education is not substitutable for specialized experience at this grade level.
Time-in-Grade: Current or former federal employees who have held a GS position in the preceding 52 weeks, must meet the time in grade requirement. Applicant must have served 52 weeks as a GS-12 or higher grade in Federal Service. Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service. Background or Security Investigation: This is a non-critical sensitiveposition. Employment in this position requires a background investigation which may delay your starting date. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the employment offer may be withdrawn. Individuals selected for this position are required to obtain and maintain a favorable security determination to occupy a sensitive position within the agency as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain eligibility to occupy a sensitive position may result in termination. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
What To Expect Next
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
Review our benefits
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses* will not*be paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- A* one year supervisory or managerial probationary*period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is Seldom 1-24%.
- This position is notcovered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 2 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 2 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/476865800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 2017-08-11 to 2017-08-25
Salary: $89,285 to $116,068 / per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 13
Series: 0501 Financial Administration And Program
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time
Job announcement number: CL-10036464-17
Control number: 476865800